Massive hunt is on to nab the terrorists who planned and executed for the mayhem at Brussels airport and metro station- who have been at large and might be hiding inside the city itself. At a news conference, Frederic Van Leeuw, the Belgian federal prosecutor, said Ibrahim el-Bakraoui, 30, as one of the men responsible for the attack at Zaventem airport. El-Bakraoui’s brother Khalid el-Bakraoui, 27, carried out the attack on the subway train at Maelbeek station, he said.
The airport will be closed till Saturday but the metro station was partially opened today.
Van Leeuw said the second suicide bomber at the airport hadn’t been identified and might have fled or dead. RTBF, the Belgian state broadcaster, had earlier reported that both the brothers had carried out the airport attack.
Meanwhile, Belgium held a minute of silence at noon and is marking three days of mourning. Thousands of people turned up at the central square to pay homage.
Belgium raised its terror-threat level from three to four, the maximum level.