News of the alleged overdose came as photos emerged of Prince walking out of a Walgreens pharmacy just 15 hours before he was pronounced dead.
Prince’s private plane made an emergency landing in Moline, Illinois, on Friday after he performed in Atlanta so he could be rushed to hospital.
Though his representatives said he was battling the flu, multiple sources reveal that doctors gave him a ‘save shot’, which is usually given in dire circumstances to drug overdose victims.
The sources said that doctors advised Prince to stay at the hospital for 24 hours, but when he wasn’t given a private room, he and his representatives decided to leave. When he left the hospital, Prince ‘was not doing well’, the sources added.
He was released three hours later and made an appearance at a party in Minnesota the next day, telling fans to ‘wait a few days before you waste any prayers’.
The 57-year-old music icon was then seen at about 7pm on Wednesday at a Walgreens pharmacy looking ‘frail and nervous’ with a group of employees or friends. It was his fourth visit to the pharmacy this week.
It is unknown why he went to the store himself or if he picked up a prescription, though per Walgreens protocol, anyone with Prince’s phone number and address could have retrieved medication for him.
Prince was then found unresponsive in the elevator at his suburban Paisley Park estate in Minnesota at 9.43am EST on Thursday and was pronounced dead less than 30 minutes later.