Expressing satisfaction for achieving numero uno status in Ease of Doing Business (EODB), Telangana minister for IT and Industries, Mr KT Rama Rao said this was possible with sheer grit and determination of Chief Minister K Chandrasekhara Rao to provide clean, transparent governance.
“We started our journey humbly and we were at No13 last year and in just a year, we peaked to number one. Our industry-friendly policies, our speedy clearances were well-received. The ranking by DIPP was based on performance indicators of 380 wings and Telangana emerged top in as many as 324 departments. This shows our policies are flawless” he said at a media meet.
Telangana has been ranked number one in EoDB with 98.78% score, according to Nirmala Sitaraman, who released the rankings yesterday.
Minimum government and maximum governance was the single most point stressed out by the Chief Minister each time and we followed it to the best of our ability, he stated.
“324 reform initiatives approved out of 340 and 12 reforms were not applicable to Telangana. Four initiatives were not approved” KTR said.
He revealed a total of 1.61 lakh jobs were created directly and another four lakh indirectly. More than 44,000 crore investments- mostly in power (renewable) sector were achieved so far.
I) HIGHLIGHTS of TELANGANA INDUSTRIAL APPROVAL SYSTEM: Minimum Government and maximum governance is the principle undertaken for the following reforms:
1. TSiPASS online portal (www.ipass.telangana.gov.in) is built as a one stop shop for information, online application, payment of fees & tracking and issue of approvals.
2. SELF CERTIFICATION:
a. Self certification introduced in Labour / Boiler / Factories / PCB / Industries department – Mutual trust that benefits all. All low risk approvals are given self certification option for the industries.
b. Deemed approvals given in the online system if not given within the stipulated time period.
a. JOINT INSPECTION: Joint inspection introduced by Labour and Factories department. – By these measures, a factory that needs to be inspected under 6 labour laws, earlier would have been inspected atleast 30 times in a 5 year span. Now, it would be inspected once in 5 years, if the unit opts for self certification. From 30 inspections to 1, It is a huge relief.
4. DEPARTMENTAL INSPECTION: Risk categorisation of every unit done by departments for inspection:
a. Low risk industries – No inspection or once in 5 years (75% of units)
b. Medium risk industries – Third party inspection ( adopted by PCB / Boilers / Labour dept) once in 3 years (15% of units )
c. High risk industries – Annual inspection by department ( only about 10 % of units)
5. INTEGRATED RETURNS & REGISTERS: Single integrated online returns & register introduced under all labour laws (Earlier under every act a separate register need to be maintained).
a. 57 registers reduced to form 1 & 2 and 14 returns is reduced to one return.
6. HMDA introduced “Development Permission Management System” (DPMS)” – an online portal for end-to-end service delivery to issue construction permits. It is also being implemented for DTCP & GHMC.
a. The building permissions are given within 14 days as opposed to several months earlier
7. SAME DAY APPROVALS:
a. VAT and Pollution approval for green category industries are given on the same day.
b. Fire NOC and feasibility report for electricity connection are currently provided by the departments within one day.
8. VALIDITY ENHANCEMENT OF LICENSES / APPROVALS:
a. PCB licence validity upto 5 years. Earlier it was 1 year validity
b. Online automatic renewal of Operational permissions by PCB.
c. Factory licence renewal upto 10 years. Earlier it was done every year
II) EFFORT PUT IN FOR EoDB (Since 1st November, 2015):
1) 66 rounds of meetings held at state level over last 9 months.
2) Number of Departments involved: 22
3) Legislations amended is 26
4) Number of GOs issued: 58
5) Number of Circulars issued: 121
6) Number of portals created / updated: 19
7) Number of online services launched: 113
8) Highest number of services launched: Labour Dept (22 services)