Panaji, (IANS) Dozens of residents of Chicalim village in Goa, near the Dabolim International Airport, were evacuated from their homes by disaster response officials, after a tanker carrying ammonia gas met with an accident and turned turtle, causing gas leakage.
Fire tenders and members of the state government’s disaster response team rushed to the site, located around 25 km from Panaji, to contain the damage and evacuate local residents living in the vicinity of the accident. The incident occurred around 3:30 am on Friday, police said.
Two women were also rushed to the hospital, after they complained of breathlessness.
“We have cordoned off the area and efforts are on to contain the leakage,” a police spokesperson said.