In a press statement, the 15-nation council said on Monday that the attempted launch is a grave violation of the North Korea’s obligations under Security Council resolutions, Xinhua news agency reported.
South Korea’s military said on October 16 that North korea had test-launched an intermediate-range ballistic missile which ended in failure.
The Security Council has adopted five resolutions to curb North Korea’s nuclear and missile programs. The latest one adopted in March imposed the most severe sanctions yet on the country, including an export ban and asset freeze.
“The members of the Security Council deplore all North Korean ballistic missile activities, including this failed launch, noting that such activities contribute to the development of nuclear weapons delivery systems and increase tension,” said the statement.
“The members of the Security Council reiterated the importance of maintaining peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula and in North-East Asia at large, ” it added.
The failed launch came on the day when the United States and South Korea wrapped up their joint naval exercises in all of the three seas around South Korea.
The missile launch was the latest in a series of provocations by North Korea following its fifth nuclear test last month.
Pyongyang said on September 9 that it successfully tested a nuclear warhead that can be mounted on ballistic missiles.